Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Weather Warning
for Damaging Winds
for parts of Central, East Gippsland, North Central, North East, West and South Gippsland and South West Forecast Districts.
Issued at 4:49 am Thursday, 18 August 2022.
Damaging winds extending eastward on Thursday.
Strong north to northwesterly winds ahead of a cold front forecast to cross Victoria during Thursday.
DAMAGING WINDS for the following areas:
Central, East Gippsland, South West, North Central, North East and West and South Gippsland
DAMAGING WINDS averaging 65 km/h with peak gusts of around 90 km/h are likely over the Otways and the Surf Coast, the central ranges and northern suburbs of Melbourne, extending to the eastern ranges during Thursday morning.
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to around 110 km/h are possible over higher elevations above 1500m in the eastern ranges.
Winds are expected to ease below warning thresholds over central districts and the Otways during Thursday afternoon. The warning area should have contracted eastward out of Victoria by late Thursday evening or early Friday morning.
Locations which may be affected include Apollo Bay, Mt Baw Baw, Falls Creek, Mt Hotham and Mt Buller.
Severe weather is no longer occurring in the Wimmera district and the warning for this district is CANCELLED.
Tullamarine recorded a gust of 96 km/h at 11:09pm Wednesday.
Cancellation for the following areas:
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Be aware - heat, fire or recent storms may make trees unstable and more likely to fall when it's windy or wet.
* Check that loose items, such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured. Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines - always assume they are live.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks. Heavy rainfall may also increase the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay informed: Monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency website/app/hotline.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 11:00 am AEST Thursday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Bowser (36.3146°S, 146.3644°E, 155m AMSL) Bowser,VIC set as my default location ›
7 day forecast
Bowser 7 day forecast
Today: Cloudy. Very high chance of rain, most likely late this afternoon and evening. Snow falling above 1600 metres. Damaging winds possible. Winds N/NE 15 to 25 km/h tending N/NW 20 to 30 km/h during the day. Daytime maximum temperatures between 10 and 16.
Forecast for Bowser (36.3146°S, 146.3644°E, 155m AMSL) Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Summary Minimum 8° 7° 5° 1° 2° 4° 3° Maximum 16° 14° 13° 13° 15° 13° 14° Chance of rain 90% 80% 70% 20% 70% 60% 50% Likely amount 10-20mm 1-5mm 1-5mm < 1mm 5-10mm < 1mm < 1mm UV index Moderate Moderate Moderate Moderate Moderate - - Frost risk Nil Nil Slight High Moderate Slight Moderate 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 13
Wind direction NE N WSW W N WSW E NNW NE NNE WSW WSW W W Relative humidity 93% 68% 94% 55% 100% 77% 97% 61% 89% 67% 89% 50% 95% 67% Dew point 11°C 11°C 9°C 5°C 8°C 8°C 5°C 5°C 6°C 8°C 5°C 2°C 7°C 7°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Bowser (36.3146°S, 146.3644°E, 155m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase Last quarter New moon First quarter Full moon 6:28am EST 6:55am EST 5:43pm EST 6:10pm EST 10:22am EST Waning gibbous Last quarter Aug 19 New moon Aug 27 First quarter Sep 04 Full moon Sep 10
Temperature for next 7 days
0 Thursday Thursday 16 1 Friday Friday 14 2 Saturday Saturday 13 3 Sunday Sunday 13 4 Monday Monday 15 5 Tuesday Tuesday 13 6 Wednesday Wednesday 14 7 Wednesday Wednesday 14
Rain for next 7 days
0 Thursday Thursday 20 1 Friday Friday 5 2 Saturday Saturday 5 3 Sunday Sunday 0 4 Monday Monday 10 5 Tuesday Tuesday 0 6 Wednesday Wednesday 0 7 Wednesday Wednesday 0