Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Weather Warning
for Damaging Winds
for parts of East Gippsland, North East and West and South Gippsland Forecast Districts.
Issued at 2:05 pm Thursday, 18 August 2022.
Damaging winds occurring over the eastern ranges on Thursday.
Strong north to northwesterly winds ahead of a cold front forecast to cross Victoria during Thursday.
DAMAGING WINDS for the following areas:
East Gippsland, North East and West and South Gippsland
DAMAGING WINDS averaging 65 km/h with peak gusts of around 90 km/h are likely over the eastern ranges during Thursday afternoon and evening.
DAMAGING WIND GUSTS to around 110 km/h are possible over higher elevations above 1500m in the eastern ranges during Thursday afternoon and evening.
Winds are expected to ease below warning thresholds over eastern ranges by late Thursday evening or early Friday morning.
Locations which may be affected include Falls Creek and Mt Hotham.
Tullamarine (Melbourne Airport) recorded a gust of 96 km/h at 11:09pm Wednesday.
Mt Buller recorded a gust of 91 km/h at 10.22am Thursday.
Mt Hotham recorded a gust of 102 km/h at 10.37am Thursday.
Cancellation for the following areas:
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* If driving conditions are dangerous, safely pull over away from trees, drains, low-lying areas and floodwater. Avoid travel if possible.
* Stay safe by avoiding dangerous hazards, such as floodwater, mud, debris, damaged roads and fallen trees.
* Be aware - heat, fire or recent storms may make trees unstable and more likely to fall when it's windy or wet.
* Check that loose items, such as outdoor settings, umbrellas and trampolines are safely secured. Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
* Stay indoors and away from windows.
* If outdoors, move to a safe place indoors. Stay away from trees, drains, gutters, creeks and waterways.
* Stay away from fallen powerlines - always assume they are live.
* Be aware that in fire affected areas, rainfall run-off into waterways may contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks. Heavy rainfall may also increase the potential for landslides and debris across roads.
* Stay informed: Monitor weather warnings, forecasts and river levels at the Bureau of Meteorology website, and warnings through VicEmergency website/app/hotline.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 5:15 pm AEST Thursday.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
Norwood Hill (37.0789°S, 144.2066°E, 300m AMSL) Norwood Hill,VIC set as my default location ›
7 day forecast
Norwood Hill 7 day forecast
Today: Cloudy. Very high chance of showers, most likely during this afternoon and evening. The chance of a thunderstorm during this afternoon and evening. Damaging winds possible in the E during the morning and afternoon. Winds N 20 to 30 km/h turning W/NW 15 to 20 km/h during the afternoon and evening. Daytime maximum temperatures between 11 and 14.
Forecast for Norwood Hill (37.0789°S, 144.2066°E, 300m AMSL) Thu Fri Sat Sun Mon Tue Wed Summary Minimum 7° 3° 5° 0° 3° 1° 2° Maximum 13° 13° 12° 12° 14° 11° 12° Chance of rain 90% 90% 50% 40% 80% 40% 60% Likely amount 5-10mm 1-5mm < 1mm < 1mm 5-10mm < 1mm < 1mm UV index Moderate Moderate Moderate Moderate Moderate - - Frost risk Nil Moderate Slight High Moderate High Moderate 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm 9am 3pm Wind speed 19
Wind direction NNE NNW WSW WNW WSW SSW NNW NW NNE NNW SW WSW W W Relative humidity 86% 81% 87% 61% 92% 62% 74% 62% 82% 77% 77% 60% 89% 75% Dew point 6°C 10°C 4°C 6°C 7°C 5°C 2°C 5°C 5°C 10°C 1°C 4°C 5°C 8°C
Sunrise and sunset times
Sunrise / Sunset for Norwood Hill (37.0789°S, 144.2066°E, 300m AMSL) First light Sunrise Sunset Last light Moon rise Moon set Moon phase Last quarter New moon First quarter Full moon 6:37am EST 7:04am EST 5:51pm EST 6:17pm EST 10:29am EST Waning gibbous Last quarter Aug 19 New moon Aug 27 First quarter Sep 04 Full moon Sep 10
Temperature for next 7 days
0 Thursday Thursday 13 1 Friday Friday 13 2 Saturday Saturday 12 3 Sunday Sunday 12 4 Monday Monday 14 5 Tuesday Tuesday 11 6 Wednesday Wednesday 12 7 Wednesday Wednesday 12
Rain for next 7 days
0 Thursday Thursday 10 1 Friday Friday 5 2 Saturday Saturday 0 3 Sunday Sunday 0 4 Monday Monday 10 5 Tuesday Tuesday 0 6 Wednesday Wednesday 0 7 Wednesday Wednesday 0